Sunday, October 1, 2017

I've Got Jesus in My Heart!

Monday August 28
 
Hey y'all! I'm settling into Atmore, and learning to love it here! It's very different from Fairhope- a small old-fashioned town that has a 60s kind of feeling to it. I think the areas I've served in on my mission have become more and more Southern with each city. :) Atmore definitely takes home the corn bread! 

The zone leaders called us at the end of the transfer day to make sure we were all settled into our new areas. After asking if we needed anything, I jokingly said, "some Blue Bell ice cream sounds good right now." A few days later they drove up to bring me some things I had left in Fairhope- we left them an extra key to our apartment to drop the stuff off since we were busy doing service at the time they were coming. On our way home after a couple of hours of being outside, we were sweaty and tired and ice cream sounded really good. I suddenly thought, "What if-?" I came home, opened the freezer, and my speculation was correct! There in the freezer was a tub of beautiful Blue Bell ice cream, Blackberry Cobbler flavored. It was a small thing, but it sure brightened our day! 

We had a sweet lesson with our investigator Felicia. I realized I sometimes make assumptions when people are raised in the South with a strong Christian background. I asked her, "how have you felt joy through Jesus Christ?" which is maybe not the most inspired question. She responded, "I haven't before." I suddenly felt humbled and grateful for the joy that I personally have felt because of Jesus Christ, and at the same time a strong desire to have her experience such joy, too. Even though these people know who Jesus Christ is and have been singing about Him since they were in diapers, they have so much potential to feel His full cleansing, peace-bringing, strengthening, joyful power in their lives! Felicia is so excited to reach that point.

Someone who has reached that point is our wonderful investigator Mildred who is getting baptized this Saturday! Oh, she is such a joy! She has been investigating the church for two years and often says things like, "I have finally found what I have been looking for for the past 60 years- I found love!" And later said, "If y'all are foolin me, continue." :D She told us how as a child, she wondered why people couldn't get along like the animals tend to do; she now knows what love is possible and has felt it from the good people of the Atmore branch. She tells us, "this is the happiest I have ever been in my life!" and it is so visible- she is full of light, life, and bursting with joy! At the end of one of our lessons, as she was sharing her sweet, strong testimony with us, she began singing a song in her rich voice: "I've got Jesus in my heart!" Ah, I wish you could all meet her! It's such a joy to get to know so many wonderful people as a missionary!

The word "gospel" translates to "good news," and that's definitely what it is! "Men are that they might have joy!" (2 Nephi 2:25) Our Heavenly Father's ultimate purpose for us is to return to live with Him and to receive all that He has, which is a fullness of joy. But we don't have to wait until the next life to experience joy- He has provided His Son Jesus Christ Who if we look to and follow, will bring us joy. I know this because I feel it every day, even on the hard days. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment