Monday, December 19, 2016

Transfers!!

December 12, 2016
 
This was such a wonderful week! Thank you all for the birthday wishes, letters, and emails! I am so blessed to have such supportive and loving family and friends!
On Tuesday, the missionaries had the awesome opportunity to be in the Fort Walton Beach light parade! It was in the evening, so dark outside, and all the floats were covered in Christmas lights! The Fort Walton missionaries joined the cub scout packs from the first and second wards. We had a banner that we painted with "#LighttheWorld: LDS Cub Scouts" and the pack numbers. We walked, and also had a little wagon covered in lights where we stashed the candy canes we handed out. We also handed out ALL of our Light the World pass-along cards, (we had to follow the Spirit to know who really needed the cards) then when those ran out, flyers for our free car wash, pamphlets, other pass-along cards, and even a Book of Mormon. One little girl that I gave a candy cane to asked, "Are you princess Ana?" Hahah, what? :D It was super duper fun!
On Wednesday we had a lesson with Rod and Kevin McSheehy, where he accepted to be baptized in January!!! It has been so incredible to watch Rod's heart change and see him become more and more converted to the gospel of Jesus Christ. He also committed to quit smoking by Christmas! He is incredible! He wants the blessings of the restored gospel so much in his life. That evening, we had a combined dinner with the elders at the Wheeldons. Then, Sister Trawick and I went to young women's where we made real wreaths! So fun!
Thursday we weekly planned. On Friday, I had the best birthday ever!!! Sister Trawick baked up my box of pumpkin scones for me for breakfast, then we helped prepare lunch for the homeless at the Methodist church. After lunch, we biked to teach Susan and Sister Vaughan. As we were biking home, we saw a woman sweeping leaves off of her porch. I stopped, and asked, "Can we help you?" "Oh, sorry, no," she said, and went inside. But I felt prompted to ignore her, so we biked around the corner to borrow rakes from Sister Tedone, came back, and started raking her yard. It was freezing outside, but we were having a good time. Then she came out and in her Oriental accent, said, "Oh, no no no, stop, you make me feel bad!" But we weren't done yet, so we told her we would continue. :) She then said, "Well, I know you don't drink coffee or tea, but I'll make you some hot chocolate." It was so sweet of her! She invited us inside, where she had hot chocolate and soft pretzels for us. She began telling us how she grew up in Taiwan and went to high school right next to an LDS church, where she met many missionaries. She had many questions, and eventually it led to us teaching her about the restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ, and the incredible knowledge we have of God's plan for us. She opened her heart to us, told of us her challenges, and she felt the Spirit as we taught, testified, and comforted her. It was incredible. She thanked us again and again for coming that evening. She was so excited to receive a Book of Mormon, and promised us she will read it. We want so much to go back and continue teaching her, but she said she'll have to talk to her husband first. It was an incredible experience of how being lights to others can help us to lead them to the Light, Jesus Christ.
Next, we went to the Brocks for some quick dessert before heading to volley ball. Sister Brock made me chocolate cake for my birthday! The fun didn't stop there, though. When Sister Trawick and I were home for the night, we got a call from President Smith. He told me happy birthday, then said he had transfer news. He told me I am going to be a Sister Training Leader in Crestview, just 30 minutes away. My companion and I (Sister Saunders, who I LOVE) will be going on exchanges with each set of sisters in our zone. Funny birthday present, President! But actually, I am really excited. I'm going to miss Fort Walton sooo much- it's home to me now, and I love the people here so much- but I'm really excited for this new opportunity.
Saturday, we left the apartment bright and early to put up the signs for the free car wash. Then, we went to a baptism for one of the 1st ward elders' investigator, which was awesome. From 10 to 1 was the free car wash! If I haven't mentioned it yet, it was an idea I had to have a free car wash as a fun service/ member and missionary event and opportunity to share the gospel. It turned out so well! Many members donated cleaning supplies and helped wash cars. All 10 missionaries were there, and we wore our awesome Light the World t-shirts. It was so fun! We must have washed 20-30 cars. After that, we helped set up for the Christmas party, which was Saturday evening. It was wonderful! Delicious food, a classic Luke 2 reenactment, and I accompanied while we all sang Christmas hymns.
That about wraps it up! Focusing on serving others for the Light the World initiative has brought me so much joy. I've loved hearing members share how serving has helped bring peace and perspective to their Christmas activities, and helped them remember the Savior. Every day, keep looking for opportunities to cheer others up and lighten their load. Merry Christmas!

Light the world day at the beach (a while back)


Light the World free car wash!

 Elders with santa!

 Never too old to sit on santas lap!
 

Former companions/new companions

Silly Elders

 Ward Christmas party

The Sister's Christmas tree!

The wedding cake for Yogi and Tess, after their Temple sealing

Sweet Sisters

Nicky's birthday breakfast

Christmas wreaths 

Nickys bday cards from her nieces

Found a painting of Italy!

The light parade

No comments:

Post a Comment