Sunday, December 4, 2016

Light the World!

This was such a wonderful week! SO many blessings and so much joy!

On Tuesday, our district decided that to increase the love we have for each other, and thus increase our love for God and our desire to obey Him the best we can, this week we focused on recognizing each others' strengths. Often, it is much easier to recognize others' weakness and shortcomings, but it is so rewarding to focus on the strengths- I've found a lot of happiness in seeking to do so!

On Wednesday, we had a zone training in Niceville. Our companionship was asked to bring an entree, so I decided to make funeral potatoes since the ones Sister Mathews had made just made me want my mom's. So I attempted to make them without my mom's recipe... I made them Tuesday evening, and put them in the oven Wednesday morning. Everything was going great- they looked and smelled good, and I took them out a few minutes before they were done to sprinkle on the crushed/buttery corn flakes, then put them back in. When I looked a few minutes later, they weren't quite as golden as I like, but time was running out, so I decided that I would turn the oven from 350 to broil very briefly to get the right goldeny goodness. I washed some dishes while I waited, and when I turned to the stove to check on the potatoes, I saw smoke coming out of the burners... I opened the oven and my funeral potatoes were ON FIRE! I made a commotion, pulled out the rack with the oven mitts, and blew out the fire. All the corn flakes were charred black! Thankfully they scraped off easily, so I put new ones on... the potatoes tasted a little smoky, but other than that they turned out okay. It was a miracle!

On Thanksgiving, we helped set up the meal that the first ward put on at the church. It was for anyone and everyone, whether or not they could bring something to share. It was humbling to be there with so many people who wouldn't have had much of a Thanksgiving otherwise. People donated so much food! There was everything- turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, mashed potatoes, and most importantly, cranberry sauce and sweet potato casserole. :) But I could hardly bring myself to eat dessert! I just thought about how sad it had made me to see Justin smoking again, and choosing to not listen any more when we were there to teach. But I had kept my side of the agreement, and ultimately the elders' pesterings to eat dessert and the temptations of the red velvet cake got the best of me, and I gave in. Sweets are not as good as I remember them! Anywho, Ruth and Tammy Tedone brought their friend Wendy, who I got to talk with. She accepted a Book of Mormon and interested in meeting with us!

After we helped clean up at the ward, we took some of the leftovers to Carol, who hadn't been able to come. She was really happy to see us and have the food. Then we went to our dinner appointment with the Ayers, a young family in the ward (which I had somehow saved room for). :) The second ward elders were there, too. It was awesome! And for dessert- oh boy: pumpkin cheesecake! That broke me back in to sweets. It was soooo delicious, and sure made up for all the pumpkin flavored things I had passed up.

I love this season so much! There are so many reasons to be joyful! This week I was reminded once again of the many incredible blessings that bring me and so many others so much JOY! Namely, number one, Jesus Christ and His Atonement. Because He chose to suffer for our every pain, sorrow, weakness, sin, and sickness in the ultimate act of pure love for Heavenly Father and for all of us, we can be cleansed and forgiven, comforted, and strengthened to endure and learn from challenges, strength to change from weak creatures to Christlike people who love and know God and do His will, so that some day we will be "even as He is." And so that we can experience JOY in the midst of it all, no matter what! I am so grateful for the knowledge that as we have faith, repent, are baptized, receive the gift of the Holy Ghost, and endure to the end, we can have access to the matchless power of the Atonement of Jesus Christ and have true and lasting joy. Joy comes as we strive to be like Him, as we serve and love others as He did. I invite all of you to serve any one, any way, every day from December 1 to Christmas day, and be a means of bringing joy to others' lives. I love y'all! Merry Christmas!!!


Making those potatoes!





 Little puppy!
Spud derby!!

 Winners!

No comments:

Post a Comment