Tuesday, June 13, 2017

High hopes for Fairhope!

Monday May 29, 2017

Hello! Sister Crosby and I found out this weekend that we are both being transferred from Crestview! I'm headed to Fairhope, Alabama with Sister Kirkham! I am soooo excited! I hear that Fairhope is a very nice, small Alabama town, and I already love Sister Kirkham, having met her at conferences before. Sister Crosby is excited to be going to Milton, Florida, where she is white-washing (both sisters there are leaving and she and another sister are coming in new together.) I have had a lot of happy, difficult, crazy, meaningful, and changing experiences in Crestview that have confirmed my belief that everything has a purpose.

So much happened this week! On Wednesday I went to Fort Walton for an exchange with Sister Evensen. It was such a treat to be with her! We got to teach a lesson with Milicent, the second lesson I've had with her on an exchange! Reminder, I met her last July when recent convert Roy Bell referred us to his friend and we started teaching her mom Milicent. At first I was a little leery because she has had several dropped baptismal dates, but I really think she'll get baptized this time! She has a date for June 10. It was such a joy to see her again! I could see a change in her even since the last time I saw her five months ago. She has more light about her, is happier, and seems much more firm in her faith and decision to be baptized. 

Sister Evensen was telling me about Wendy, someone they started teaching just this week and has accepted a baptismal date to work towards. She said Wendy had a Book of Mormon that her friend Ruth had given her and she had been reading. But she said there was a pass a long card in her Book of Mormon with Sister Trawick's name on it, and someone else. So of course, having trained Sister Trawick, I wondered if I had known Wendy. Then Sister Evensen said that Wendy was referred to them by the Fort Walton 2 sisters who found her name in their apartment. And then I remembered!! Way back in November when I was with Sister Trawick, we asked Sister Ruth Tedone at dinner once who she knew that would benefit from our message; she brought up Wendy, then invited her to the ward Thanksgiving dinner where I met her, gave her a Book of Mormon, and we set up an appointment. And then I got transferred to Crestview, so I never knew what happened! Turns out the sisters weren't able to teach her for some reason, but she's been reading the Book of Mormon for 6 months and now she's meeting with the 1st ward sisters and has a baptismal date!! How cool is that?? 

Another miracle: (By the way, on our mission conference call on Tuesday, President Smith declared this week Miracle Week, a week that is usually difficult for missionaries to focus and be effective since we're all wondering if we'll  get transferred) Sister Crosby and I received a call from an unknown number and a man said, "Hi, is this the missionaries?" "Yes-" "I've been learning more about the church and I just wanted to tell you all something..." We both sighed and prepared ourselves to be bashed on... but then he surprised us and went on to tell us that three and a half years ago, he (his name is Cole) met the missionaries at his apartment, asked for a Book of Mormon, but then his family moved, and he lost his Book of Mormon over several moves. Recently, he moved to Milton where his Mormon cousin told him how to get a new Book of Mormon, the missionaries brought him one, started teaching him, and now he's getting baptized on June 10th!!! How crazy is that?! Even crazier, it was several days later that we found out that Sister Crosby is going to Milton to the very companionship that is currently teaching Cole!! :D It was so cool!! He told us that the night before he received his answer of the truth of the Book of Mormon. We are trying to get the contact info of those original elders who he met three and a half years ago! 

Thursday was an exchange with the Fort Walton 2 sisters, Sister Petersen. We were at the park studying, then saw this mom with her daughters, started talking with her, and they went on to share a whole bunch of their cool stories from their mission trips with their church! They talked with us for like an hour! And the 20 year old daughter is friends with a young man in the ward who is almost done with his mission, and they all agreed to hear the message that he's sharing in Brazil! SO COOL!

Yesterday was Sister Crosby's birthday! The elders decorated the car, made her a cake, and for dinner with the Curdy's they made Cafe Rio pork burritos and chocolate chip cookie dough cheesecake. The elders were there, too! It was such a good time! 

This week's thought is, "all things will work together for the good of them that love God" (not exact, but along those lines). As we strive to show our love to God by obeying Him, He will make every experience we have, both the good and the bad, for our benefit and to help us become more like His Son. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment