Tuesday, June 13, 2017

Football n' flyers

Monday May 22, 2017

What is a week on the mission without highs and lows? 

Tuesday we had a really good lesson with Leslie, answering her questions about the Book of Mormon (which she's been reading) and talking about the importance of keeping commitments to prepare her to keep the covenant of baptism. She has such a good heart. In our second lesson with her this week, we asked her what changes she has noticed in herself since meeting with us. She said she has been trying to quit swearing and smoking, neither of which we have talked about with her yet! I love that! As she has felt the Spirit with us and while praying and reading the Book of Mormon, it has given her a desire to turn her heart to God, to change, and she is drawing closer to Him. She is much happier than when we first met her! And that's why it broke our hearts that she didn't come to the movie night, primary activity, or church this past weekend. :( But we have hope for her! 

Tuesday evening we drove to Tallahassee for our exchange with the head sister training leaders there. I was with Sister Whattcott, who I love so much! She is the one who I've known since 9th grade as violin stand partners in the Utah Youth Philharmonic. We fan-girled together over orchestra and singing, which I seriously needed! Sister Crosby and I had our interviews with President Smith at the mission home, since we had missed them earlier that day in Crestview since we were in Tallahassee. President and Sister Smith are so caring and make me feel loved. 

Thursday we weekly planned and had that second lesson with Leslie. That evening, we went to the high school football game between Crestview and Baker ( a big deal) to find and to invite people to our Meet the Mormons movie night. 

That took place Friday! We set up the chairs in the gym with the screen on the wall. A member brought a popcorn machine and we had ice cream after wards. All 8 of we missionaries probably gave out 1000 flyers, no joke. Not quite that many people came, :) but there were still a good number of ward members from both wards, and Joe our former investigator came as well as Misty and her family! It was a nice event. 

Saturday we went to a military fair to talk to people and met a few potential investigators. We also helped at the primary activity, which was good since some less active members showed up. Church Sunday was good as usual, and we had dinner with the wonderful Nelson family who I adore! 

This week I've been thinking a lot about how one of our central purposes here on earth is to turn outward and lift one another. We promise when we are baptized to mourn with, comfort, and bear the burdens of those around us. When I've been tempted to be sad or discouraged, I've found that looking outside of myself to show love to those around me, including my companion, brings healing, hope, and joy. I love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment